Leave a Legacy

There are many ways in which you can help protect the farms that feed your family.  Make a donation today, or read on for information on alternative ways to support the California Farmland Trust. There are many ways in which you can leave a legacy gift to protect the farms that will feed your family, forever. No matter which you choose, the land will be your legacy.

Follow the flow chart on the right to find the best tax-advantaged way for you to make a gift, today.  Click on the flow chart to see a bigger version.  Then, scroll down to learn more about each of the ways to give a gift to protect the farms that feed your family.

Direct Gifts of Stocks

If you own any stocks, consider directly gifting them to CFT.  It’s easy, and if the stocks have increased in value since you acquired them, you won’t have to pay capital gains taxes on the proceeds.  Here’s more information from three brokerages, if you use a different brokerage you can simply call them to initiate a direct gift of stocks.  The information in the links below generally applies to any brokerage.

Donating Stock to Charity (Fidelity)

Charitable Donations: The Basics of Giving (Charles Schwab)

Donating Appreciated Securities in Kind (Vanguard) 

Donor Advised Funds

A Donor Advised Fund is a special type of brokerage account, similar to a 529 plan or IRA. Establishing a Donor Advised Fund allows you to deposit and write off a lump sum now, then make distributions to charities on your own schedule.  If you already have a Donor Advised Fund, you can use it to make a gift to CFT.  If you don’t have a Donor Advised Fund, here’s some further information on them for your consideration.  In many cases, you can also establish a Donor Advised Fund with your local community foundation.

Donor Advised Funds (Charles Schwab) 

What is a Donor Advised Fund? (Fidelity)

Individual Philanthropic Accounts (Vanguard)

Great deals. Good deeds.
Use Giving Assistant to save money and support California Farmland Trust

Make your money go further with Giving Assistant! Sign up and start giving the cash back you earn to California Farmland Trust while shopping at JC Penney, Macy's, and Lowe's!


If you are over the age of 70 ½, you can make a Qualified Charitable Deduction from your Traditional IRA. A Qualified Charitable Deduction is a gift that goes directly from the IRA custodian to the nonprofit; it is not distributed to the individual first.  A Qualified Charitable Deduction can help you meet your Required Minimum Distribution, without having to pay taxes on the amount donated – even if you don’t itemize your taxes!  Follow the links below to learn more.

Qualified Charitable Distributions (Fidelity)

Thinking of Using Your RMD for Charitable Giving? (Vanguard)

If you are under the age of 70 ½, you can consider naming CFT as a beneficiary of your IRA.

Life Insurance

There are many ways in which you can support CFT using your life insurance.  You can name CFT as a beneficiary, gift an existing or new policy to CFT, or make annual gifts via the policy.  Learn more at the links below.

Donating Your Life Insurance to Charity: How It Works (Northwestern Mutual) 

Life Insurance for Charity (Mass Mutual)

Estate Planning

If you’d like to support farmland protection, but aren’t quite ready yet, naming CFT as a beneficiary of your estate plan is a great option.  Just let your attorney know that you’d like to include CFT in your will or trust.  And if they have any questions, they can always give us a call at (916)687-3178.

Donation Inquiry

4 + 14 =