Summary: Features California walnuts and raisins. This recipe was contributed by Maxwell Norton. This cake has been a family favorite of the Van Konynenburg and Norton families for many generations. The walnuts usually came from the family farm near Salida.
- 1.5 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- .75 cup raisins
- Bring all ingredients to a boil in a saucepan.
- Remove from heat and add 1 cup shortening or margarine. Cool.
- Sift 3 cups of flour with 2 tsp baking soda. Add to mix and stir till smooth.
- Pour into a 9 x 12 inch greased and floured pan.
- Sprinkle top generously with chopped walnuts. Bake 40 – 50 minutes at 350F.
- It is commonly served hot or warm.