- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 ½ tsp. finely shredded orange or lemon peel (optional)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped almonds
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease two cookie sheets; set aside. In a bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Place eggs and egg yolks in the well and stir into the flour mixture. Add butter and, if desired, orange or lemon peel; stir until dough starts to form a ball. Stir in almonds.
2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; divide into three equal portions. Shape each portion into a 14 inch-long loaf. Place loaves about 3 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Flatten loaves slightly until about 1 ½ inches wide. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until firm and light brown. Cool on cookie sheets for 15 minutes.
3. Transfer baked loaves to a cutting board. Use a serrated knife to cut each loaf diagonally into ½ inch slices. Place slices on cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn slices over. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until crisp and dry. Cool. Makes about 84 cookies.